Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Perfect Day of Gifts

First, we thought about you. How you would look, how you would sound, what your name would be. Then, you were born and we couldn't imagine ever wondering these things. Your eyes are magnetic, your voice brings smiles from miles away, your name, while you are only just over a year old, suits you perfectly: Beautiful, strong and with many colours and variations. Olivia - what we didn't know, and what we have found out a little more every day since the days before you were born, is how much joy and harmony and love you bring into our lives. I could sit here all day for ever more describing these instances and moments and still not have enough stories and words to fill my pages. So for today, I will tell but one.

Today is Sunday May 10, 2009. Today, is Mother's Day. Today, you took your first steps. This morning I woke up to the sounds of you babbling and chatting softly to yourself in your bedroom. Otis came bounding up the stairs and jumped up on our bed while Daddy crept into your room to turn on your musicbox. This generally keeps you happy until one of us returns with your morning bottle...a routine that has started since I've gone back to work and our mornings have sped up way more then even I like. We'll be working on breaking this habit soon. Daddy brought you into our room and together you handed me a card. It was so sweet, written with kind words and included a note that told me Daddy and I are going away on a special weekend getaway and spa soon! Oh how we need this! We all got dressed and hopped in the car to head out to our favourite breakfast spot. After a few false starts we finally made it and had a great time stuffing our faces with pancakes, waffles, sausages and bacon. Daddy and I drank way too much coffee and you had way too many pancakes but we had such a great time. After a quick trip to Home Depot for some potted plants we were home in time for a late morning nap.

The rest of our day was more of the same. Family time, napping, gardening and laughs. For the first time in a long time, Daddy and I were able to just sit and enjoy the company of our family. I think you caught on, I really do because it was at that very moment, when you decided to get up and walk. I had set up a blanket on the front lawn so that we could watch Daddy do a few things in the front yard. You and I were sitting and playing with some toys I had brough outside, but you really were much more interested in waving at everyone who walked by the house. So I started tickling you and making you giggle. We were playing this game where you would stand in front of me and hang your head backwards to look upside down. It's one of your favourite games right now - you laugh so hard I think you're peeing your pants for sure! Then you looked at me and I knew. I stood you up and I don't know why, but I said to Daddy, watch this, Livvie is going to walk.

AND YOU DID! You stood in front of me and took two steps towards me. Then you plunked down to your knees and let out the biggest giggle. Smiling from ear to ear you looked at me. I stood you up again. This time, you stood there, holding your arms out in the air for balance. And laughed. You looked at me, you looked at Daddy, and then you walked again. One, Two, Plunk! Down on your knees. And the giggles continued. You made it to three steps before you decided that was it and fell into my arms for a hug. Together we laughed and as tears streamed down my face I thought to myself: Words can not describe this. The joy that filled that moment was indescbribable to anyone other then us. And that is what makes us a family. That is what makes me the luckiest Mother in the world. That, my sweet Loulou, is the perfect gift.

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Beaches said...

Amazing. Tears in the office before 10 a.m. on Monday. Typical.

Way to go LouLou! You make your Auntie Dax so proud. Can't wait to see you toddle around my knees very soon.

xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home