Sunday, September 21, 2008

Auntie Dax is 33!

Dear Duder,

So today is your birthday. Kinda different from all the others eh? Well...actually last year was probably different too cause you were knackered and so ill you weren't drinking any cold ones. But here it is, and I'm gonna lay it on the line for you just in case you need some clarity. Today you are 33. It's a pretty age. The number is nice to write or type, it's aesthetically pleasing to look at, there is symmetry...you like symmetry. Numerologically speaking it doesn't do much for you but let's not push it. I think it's important to remind you of a few things that you were up to this time last year, just to keep things in perspective.

This time last year you were preggers. We've already covered that. Preggers and sick. Sick sick sick. I couldn't tell you if you actually had a birthday dinner or if you celebrated or oh...wait...yessssssss.......the chili.....your parents. Ok RIGHT because I bought you a scarf. I knew it would fit. Heh. Well the point here is that you were preggers and I was preggers and so it was a very different birthday. I mean it wasn't no 'hit the slots in Vegas' or 'down some Hawaiian mushrooms' ya know? By the way, and I think I covered this last year too...why the hell are we always travelling on your birthday? Do you know how stressful it is to try and figure out presents that travel well? Sheesh.

This time last year you were not yet a Mother. This has obviously changed your life dramatically - I don't need to get into it - but good to point out.

This time last year you were working a 9 to 5 (ok let's be real 10-4ish) job. Hmm, best not to bring that up either, it's your birthday after all.

This time last year we talked about what our world would look like in a year from now and here we are. With babies. B-A-B-I-E-S. Daughters no less! I can't think of a better plan. I can't think of a more wonderful way to have spent this last year sharing all of our fears and panics and thoughts and dreams and fears and panics and joys. You bring so much joy into this world and I thank you for being here and for being my best friend. (Might also thank the Lotts seeing as how it's really her doing. heh.)

Because I refuse to make you cry on your birthday this year (unless you are already - yep you are) I thought I'd leave you with this. This, as you know, is what it's all boiled down to. Our baby girls and how many different ways we can make people smile through them. Olivia and I are smiling at you today and saying Happy Birthday Dax!

I love you.




1 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Beaches said...

OKAY.

I'm glad I looked at this today of all days. It's been an emotional one for me and I'll tell you all about it tomorrow, when your party is over and you're ready for it. It's been a day that makes me want to squeeze my loved ones a little tighter and to appreciate the people in my life a little harder.

You and your daughter are so special to me and I can't think of a better birthday gift than having you both in my life! Also, our girls' trip was the perfect way to celebrate. I had so much fun and am so glad that we got to do it before the snow flies and before life goes back to "normal" with work and weekends too busy to jet away on a whim.

I love you both very much. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home