Sunday, January 06, 2008

Just makin' it through....

So it's been about 3 weeks since my last post. Changes to my body are now completely un-fun. I'll spare you the details of bloating face and swelling ankles. Overall, I have been really lucky with the preggo-progress, having been blessed with good genes everything is going nicely. However, and here's where I just need to complain for a moment, I have over the last day and a half developed some pretty sever pain on my right lower side which at this point, all arrows are pointing in the direction of the affects of ovarian cysts with said growing baby. Conveniently, at 11pm on Friday night, I found myself with the Huzb in the Labour and Delivery Triage Unit at St. Mike's Hospital hooked up to a baby heart rate monitor and running tests to try and identify why I had piercing lower right hand pain. My suspicion was that the previously detected cysts on my right ovary had burst and I was feeling the after affects. Prone to self-diagnosis (thanks Dad) I am one who is very aware of my body and able to communicate relatively effectively to medical staff. *Ahhhhhh! Wrong. "Nothing has ruptured that we can see. Perhaps a twisted ovary, but we can't tell because we don't have access to the right machine here and the people that do are not here right now." Um. Pardon fucking me? Is this not a hospital that runs 24 hours? What if this were an emergency? "Well if it were an emergency we would arrange for it, but it's not." Right. So there was no access to the specialized ultrasound machine that would be able to clearly see the cysts and clarify if indeed this was the source of my pain. After 2 1/2 hours of waiting, discussing, testing and probing (not to mention listening to a woman behind the curtain next to me scream bloody murder in about 5 languages as the nurse hummed to her calmly "Breath...breath....you're just 1 cm dilated, we have lots more to go...." (Grrrreeeeat this is what labour is really all about!) the Doc. assured me the baby was fine, slapped me with a clean bill of health, sent me on my way and told me to call my obgyn on Monday to set up an urgent ultra sound.

This leads me to right now. Sunday morning at 3:26am. Awakened by sharp pain located in lower right hand side of abdomen. Can't sleep. Obsessing. Am I going to deal with this for the next 7 weeks while this baby finishes cooking? God help me!

1 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

crikey! just reading that and i can FEEL the PAIN! hope all is ok. jb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home